Bill Truex and his wife Andrea moved to Charlotte County in June of 1991 making Rotonda West their home. Both Bill and Andrea are originally from Indiana but met in Englewood while on vacation in 1984. They are approaching their 22nd wedding anniversary this August.
Bill is a graduate of Indiana University with a B.A. in Economics. He has worked in the corporate world for Roll Coater (a Division of Arvin Industries), AT&T and Roadway Express prior to moving to Florida. Bill and Andrea made the decision to ultimately return to where their relationship began and have happily called Charlotte County home. Since moving to Florida Bill has been involved in Real Estate and Construction for the majority of his career but after working for a builder that fell in the last economic downturn in 1995, he accepted a position as Marketing Director of Executive Title Insurance Services for the Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Venice, Englewood and Boca Grande markets. This role enhanced his knowledge of our area. Though this family owned and operated business was an enjoyable place to work, Bill’s love of construction continued to grow and he made the move to obtain his State Certified Builders license. With the support of his wife Andrea, a Registered Nurse and Director at Englewood Community Hospital, he returned to something he has had a love for since his first exposure to the industry at the early age of 7 when his family built their own home in Bloomington, Indiana.
Bill has effectively managed multiple jobs, athletics and volunteer efforts throughout his life in pursuit of enhancing his educational opportunities and life experiences. His professional experience includes sales, service, production, the development, monitoring and evaluation of budgets, and the management of employees and multiple contractors. He also has experience in management of bargaining unit employees while at Roadway Express.
Since coming to Florida Bill has made a conscious effort to become integrated into the community in various ways. The following are organizations that Bill has been a part of over the past few years and awards that he or his company has received for his efforts:
- 2012 Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA) Governmental Affairs Chair
- 2012 Englewood Cape Haze Area Chamber President
- 2011 Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office Citizens Academy Graduate
- 2011 Englewood Sun Readers’ Choice Award - Remodeling Contractor
- 2011 Excellence in Business Award from Englewood Cape Haze Area Chamber
- 2010 President of CDBIA Local Builders Association
- 2010 Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association (CDBIA) Builder of the Year
- 2010 Charlotte Sun Readers’ Choice Remodeler of the Year
- 2010 Florida Home Builders Association Pinnacle Builder of the Year- recognized for commitment to doing business with local members
- 2010 Englewood Chamber President’s Award
- 2009 - 2011 Florida Home Builders Association Area VI Vice President
- 2009-2012 Charlotte County Board of Zoning Appeals
- Habitat for Humanity - Built Home in Builder's Blitz 2009
- 2006 Nova Award from Englewood Cape Haze Chamber of Commerce
- Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association - Builder Member
- Director of National Association of Home Builders
- Director of FHBA
- Board member of Englewood Cape Haze Chamber of Commerce 1996-1998 and 2007-2013.
- YMCA - Volunteer w/ Annual Fundraiser
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce member
- Florida Chamber of Commerce member
- Leadership Englewood Graduate
- Chairman of the Building Industry Oversight Committee
- Manatee Sarasota Home Builder’s Association – Builder Member
- Lemon Bay Sunrise Rotary and Paul Harris Fellow
- Englewood Area Planning Advisory Board
- Big Brothers/ Big Sisters Mentor and Big Brother
- Little League Baseball Volunteer Umpire and Board Member
- Pop Warner coach and Board Member
- Lemon Bay High School volunteer football coach
Currently Bill is the President and Owner of Truex Preferred Construction, which has been in business in Englewood since 2005. His company specializes in residential and commercial construction and remodeling. Though times have been tough in construction, his innovative approach to dealing with the economic downturn has proven successful. His employees and trade contractors have continued to work together as a team under his leadership to provide excellent service, on time production and most importantly stay within budget. His team role models his behavior and work ethic. This team has proven to be a “family” of people working hard, together, to produce a quality product. They take pride in what they are doing and are willing to go above and beyond to accomplish the task. Bill’s leadership experience and the vast skill set that he possesses can and will benefit YOU as a constituent of Charlotte County by electing him as your Commissioner in Charlotte County District 3. Truex has proven experience building consensus in the business world and will bring that same ability to the commission as he did for the Penny Tax Extension by organizing Town Hall Meetings to discuss the issue in 2008.
VOTE TRUEX for County Commission District 3.